It is cold and flu season again. No parent wants to be sick and they certainly don’t want their child t be sick. The good news is that there are some ways that you can improve your child’s chances of fighting off the cold and flu virus when they are exposed to it. Here are 5 lifestyle choices that can support your child’s immune system this winter.
- Food Matters. Choose whole foods. Include more green leafy veggies and berries in your family’s diet. Reduce processed and sugar containing foods.
- A healthy gut is a healthy immune system. A large portion of our immune system is in the gut. Include probiotic and prebiotic containing foods in your family’s diet. Consider a high quality probiotic supplement for your entire family.
- Learn how to manage stress. Cortisol reduces the body’s immune function. Managing stress helps cortisol work in a normal cycle. [We will be discussing stress and stress management in our October 2018 Wellness Wednesday Series]
- Have restorative sleep. Sleep is when the body heals and detoxifies. If your child is not getting enough sleep or good QUALITY sleep, then he/she will have more trouble fighting off germs.
- Optimize the immune system through nutrients and supplements. Zinc, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D are nutrients the body needs for a healthy immune system. Supplementing these may help optimize your child’s immune system. Elderberry syrup, echinacea, and holy basil are herbs that have antiviral qualities.
Learn more about keeping your child well during cold and flu season in our recorded Wellness Wednesday Series. By signing up for Wellness Wednesday, you will have free access to all recorded sessions, and will be informed of all future topics!